I consider this comfort food. My Aunty Val used to make this from canned apples when I was living in Hawaii. It was a staple at every family get together and I still look forward to it when I go back home! Ironically, when I make this, I always think of her! I did my culinary internship at 3660 On The Rise back in 2000 with my bestie, Jason and that was where I first made apple crisp using fresh apples. I make this at least twice a month. My son and my boyfriend LOVE this. Seriously, my friends and family ask for this all the time. It has even replaced my son’s good ol’ vanilla buttercream birthday cake every year. In my home, apple crisp is King.
For the apple filling:
Apples 1 bag or 12 apples, peeled and large diced
Sugar 1 cup
Flour 1/8 cup
Cinnamon TT (I go crazy with this! You can also add nutmeg and grated fresh ginger for more depth!)
For the crumbled topping:
Butter, COLD 1 and 1/2 cups, cut into little pieces (helps with breakdown)
Sugar 1 and 1/2 cups
Flour 3 cups
Quick Oats 1/2 cup
- In a large bowl, combine all apple filling ingredients.
- In a 9×13 baking pan, add apple mixture.
- In another bowl, all all ingredients for crumbled topping. Using a pastry cutter, incorporate ingredients until crumbly (pea size crumbs).
- Top the apple mixture with the crumb topping. It may look like too much, but the topping with cook down and become this heavenly crumbly layer!
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the filling bubbles up! You are looking for a deep golden brown crumb topping.
You may add the following to the filling to switch it up!
- Blueberries, fresh
- Peaches, fresh
- ginger, fresh grated
- pears, fresh
- any other type of berries
- parmesan (to the crumbled topping)
This recipe is super easy! My son and my boyfriend have made this recipe…so go for it!