Whenever my sister and I get together, we cook. I’m not talking your everyday meals, either. We love choosing recipes that require a lot of work (I remember tackling Julia Child’s beef bourguignon recipe with her that literally took us ALL DAY to make) or just recipes we have not tried before (the bucket list recipes). Last year, we decided on Farmer’s Cheese! It was such an easy recipe! Anyone can make this, even if you are a novice in the kitchen! This is also great for kids to try! This recipe yielded about 3 cups of cheese, and we made 3 different flavors! Have fun with it and be creative!
Whole Milk 1 gallon
Pinch of salt
Juice of 1 lemon (you don’t have to use it all, just enough for the milk to curdle!)
- In a large pot, bring milk and salt to a boil. Make sure you stir constantly to avoid scorching.
- As soon as the milk comes to a boil, turn off heat.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Milk should instantly curdle!
- Line a colander with cheesecloth and pour milk into it. What is left is the cheese!
- Wrap the cheesecloth around the cheese and squeeze until most of the water (whey) is gone.
- Store in refrigerator.
You can eat it plain or you can flavor the cheese as you wish! Here are the flavors we tried!
- Basil with roasted garlic, salt and drizzle of olive oil on top
- Green onion with black pepper