The photo does not do it justice. These rolls are fricken delicious! Pillowy soft and lightly sweet, patience is what is necessary when attempting to make these buttery fluff nuggets! The layer of melted butter and a generous sprinkle of rock salt is a little over the top, but it’s a rare occasion when I make bread, so I embrace it with all I’ve got. This recipe is made for a dinner party, so cutting it in half would nicely feed a family of 4. Unless you live with 2 guys, like me…you can easily make the whole recipe! Allow yourself 3 hours including prep and baking time. Have fun!
Boiling water 2 c.
Butter, room temperature 1/2 c.
Active dry yeast 2 pkgs.
Warm water (105-115F) 1/2 c.
AP Flour 9-10 c.
Sugar 1/2 c.
Salt 1 and 1/2 tsp.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter in hot water. Bring the temperature down to 105-115F.
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and add the butter mixture, 3 cups of flour, sugar, eggs and salt.
- Mix at medium speed, scraping the bowl often until the dough is smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle (not so sticky).
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8-10 minutes)
- Place in a greased bowl, greased side up.
- Cover with a towel and let rise until the dough has doubled in size (about an hour).
- Dough is ready when indentation remains when it is touched.
9. Punch down dough and divide dough in half.
10. Shape each half into 24 rounds and place in greased 13×9 baking pans.
11. Cover with a towel and let it rise until double in size (about 1 hour).
12. Heat oven to 400 F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with a crap ton of butter and sprinkle with rock salt or your favorite flavored salts (rosemary, truffle, etc).
Recruit your kids to help out with rolling the dough and brushing the butter onto the hot bread. They will be impressed with the fruits of their labor!