This side dish is pretty versatile and with every “cake” recipe, you can add whatever your hearts desire! I made a huge batch of the mashed potato base and served it with breakfast and then again with dinner the following night! The texture is like a tater tot…flaky and crispy! It’s a great substitute for hash browns with breakfast or smother it with gravy for dinner, paired with a nice pork loin roast and you’ve got heaven on a plate!
Potato 5 medium
Roasted garlic 1 whole bulb, minced
Sour cream 1/4 cup
Chicken broth 1/4 cup
Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup
green onion 2 stalks, minced
panko 2-3 cups
- Boil potatoes in a large pot with water that is covering about an inch. With the lid on, simmer potatoes until fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain water and keep potatoes in the pot.
- Mash together: potato, roasted garlic, sour cream, chicken broth, Parmesan cheese, green onions, salt, pepper and panko.
- Taste your mashed potatoes and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Make your patties. I usually make them 2.5 inches in diameter and about a half inch thick.
- Place remaining panko on a platter and dredge your patties in it.
- In a frying pan, heat preferred oil to medium-high heat.
- Brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each side.
**Add crisp bacon or ham if you wish!!**